Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Season Sorting

Do you have those kids when you ask what season is it? They respond Tuesday? 
Most of my language kids do not understand the concepts of days, months, seasons, states, countries, planets.....
Here is an idea that I had lots of success teaching my language therapy kids the concepts of seasons. 
Most of my kiddos in language therapy must have REPETITION, concrete objects, visual cues, verbal cues and many of them. 
Here is a little something we have been doing in speech therapy. 
The kit was from LakeShore  - weather/seasons mine is a little older and some of the materials did not look the same.
I made some sorting mats - read the story and then we practiced over and over.


by Louise Borden
Theme Box Lake Shore

I had the kids take turns sorting the objects and telling what season it was, I kept track of the percent correct and I also timed them for fun (as I collected data)
When they finished the LakeShore Kit included these cute little weather puzzles used to match the clothes you would wear in the season and the kids completed these.
It wouldn't be hard to make your own kit similar to this!
Check out the Oklahoma Assistive Technology Center - Oklahoma Unit for a Sorting Folder Activity! (you need boardmaker to open but don't forget the 30 day free trial if you don't)
Hope you get some good ideas.  Alicia


2 comments:

Kay said...

Thanks for the info. Keep up the good work.

Heather's Heart said...

Thank you for this *freebie*! =)

I am so glad I found your blog!


Heather
Heather's Heart